OFAC is moving soon!

We will be moving all OFAC content to a brand new website. OFAC's Sanctions List Search and sanctions list data will remain at the current URLs.

Frequently Asked Questions

558. Are news reporting organizations and journalists authorized to conduct activities in North Korea?


News reporting organizations do not require OFAC authorization to engage in activities that are exempt pursuant to 50 U.S.C. § 1702(b), such as travel to or from any country or the importation or exportation of informational materials. All other activities would require a specific license from OFAC. For example, it is prohibited for journalists to employ North Korean government guides or purchase North Korean-origin technology without a specific license. The exemptions contained in IEEPA, 50 U.S.C. § 1702(b), do not apply to transactions involving persons blocked by the United Nations pursuant to United Nations Security Council Resolutions. As of September 1, 2017, U.S. passports are invalid for travel into, in, or through North Korea. However, in limited circumstances, applicants may be eligible for a Special Validation Passport from the State Department that will allow them to travel for specific purposes. See travel.state.gov for for additional details.

Date Released
March 1, 2018