Sanctions Brochures and Lists of Narcotics Traffickers
Sanctions Brochures are an overview of OFAC's regulations with regard to the Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions. They are useful quick reference tools.
- Overview of Sanctions
- Overview of Sanctions (text)
- List of Sanctions Pursuant to the Kingpin Act
- List of Sanctions Pursuant to Executive Order 12978
Frequently Asked Questions
OFAC has compiled hundreds of frequently asked questions (FAQs)about its sanctions programs and related policies. The link below sends the user to the entire list of OFAC's FAQs.
- Questions Related to Entities Owned by Persons Whose Property and Interests in Property are Blocked (50% Rule)
- Questions Related to Dealings with the Government of Venezuela
- Questions about Filing a Petition for Removal from an OFAC List
- OFAC Frequently Asked Questions
- Statement on the Seizure of Seguros Continental S.A. by the Government of Honduras (October 22, 2015)
- Statement on the Proposed Liquidation of Banco Continental (October 11, 2015)
- Statement on the Felix Maduro Group (June 1, 2016)
- Declaración sobre el aseguramiento de Seguros Continental, S.A. por parte del Gobierno de Honduras (22 de octubre de 2015)
- Declaración sobre el Grupo Felix Maduro (June 1, 2016)
OFAC issues interpretive guidance on specific issues related to the sanctions programs it administers. These interpretations of OFAC policy are sometimes published in response to a public request for guidance or may be released proactively by OFAC in order to address a complex topic.
- Guidance on the Provision of Certain Services Relating to the Requirements of U.S. Sanctions Laws(January 12, 2017)
- Index of Interpretative Guidance
Applying for a Specific OFAC License
It may be in your and the U.S. government’s interest to authorize particular economic activity related to Iran. Certain activities related to Iran may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Visit the link below to apply for an OFAC license.
- Apply for an OFAC License Online- Authorization from OFAC to engage in a transaction that otherwise would be prohibited.
OFAC issues general licenses in order to authorize activities that would otherwise be prohibited with regard to the Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions. General licenses allow all US persons to engage in the activity described in the general license without needing to apply for a specific license.
Guidance on OFAC Licensing Policy
Certain activities related to the Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Below OFAC has issued guidance and statements on specific licensing policies as they relate to the Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions.
- Licenses for Legal Fees and Costs- Guidance on the Release of Limited Amounts of Blocked Funds for Payment of Legal Fees and Costs Incurred in Challenging the Blocking of U.S. Persons in Administrative or Civil Proceedings
- Entities Owned By Blocked Persons- Guidance On Entities Owned By Persons Whose Property And Interests In Property Are Blocked
- Statement of Licensing Policy Regarding Transactions of Three Colombian Entities Designated Pursuant to E.O. 12978
- Statement of Licensing Policy Regarding Transactions of Six Colombian Entities Designated Pursuant to E.O. 12978
- Statement of Licensing Policy Regarding Transactions of Two Colombian Entities Designated Pursuant to E.O. 12978
OFAC occasionally produces reports that demonstrate the impact of economic sanctions. The report below is related to the impact of the Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions.
OFAC releases charts of the players in and structures of Narcotics Trafficking Organizations with its press releases.
2020 Press Charts
- Taotao Zhang Network - August 2020
- Zheng Drug Trafficking Organization - July 2020
- CJNG and Los Cuinis Drug Trafficking Organizations - March 2020
2019 Press Charts
- Suniga Rodriguez Drug Trafficking Organization - December 2019
- Zheng Drug Trafficking Organization - August 2019
- Peralta Drug Trafficking Organization - August 2019
- GOLDPHARMA Drug Trafficking Organization - May 2019
- CJNG and Los Cuinis Drug Trafficking Organizations - May 2019
- Chams Money Laundering Organization - April 2019
- Hakimzada Network - February 2019
2018 Press Charts
- Pedro Luis Zuleta Noscue & Associates Chart - October 2018
- CJNG and Los Cuinis Drug Trafficking Organizations' Individuals- 2015-2018
- CJNG and Los Cuinis Drug Trafficking Organizations' Entities- 2015-2018
- Rincon Castillo Drug Trafficking Organization - June 2018
- Martin Olivares Companies and Associates - May 2018
- Jian Zhang Drug Trafficking Organization - April 2018
- CJNG and Los Cuinis Drug Trafficking Organizations- April 2018
- Ruelas Torres Drug Trafficking Organization - March 2018
- Oficina de Envigado - Piedrahita Ceballos Associates - February 2018
Reports to the Congress
OFAC occasionally transmits reports to the Congress regarding the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act.
- Identification of Kassem Chams (April 11, 2019)
- Identification of Jasmeet Hakimzada(February 20, 2019)
- Identification of Pedro Luis Zuleta Noscue Drug Trafficking Organization (October 18, 2018)
- Identification of Rincon Castillo Drug Trafficking Organization (June 5, 2018)
- Identification of Pedro Luis Martin Olivares (May 7, 2018)
- Identification of Jian Zhang Drug Trafficking Organization (April 27, 2018)
- Identification of Jose Luis Ruelas Torres and the Ruelas Torres Drug Trafficking Organization (May 24, 2017)
- Identification of Raul Flores Hernandez and the Flores Drug Trafficking Organization (August 9, 2017)
- Identification of Ali Khatib Haji Hassan and the Hassan Drug Trafficking Organization (March 9, 2016)
- Identification of Shining Path (Peru)(June 1, 2015)
Executive Orders, Statutes, Rules and Regulations Relating to the Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions
The Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions represent the implementation of multiple legal authorities. Some of these authorities are in the form of executive orders issued by the President. Other authorities are public laws (statutes) passed by The Congress. These authorities are further codified by OFAC in its regulations which are published the Code of Federal Regulations(CFR). Modifications to these regulations are posted in the Federal Register.
- 12978 Blocking Assets and Prohibiting Transactions With Significant Narcotics Traffickers (Effective Date - October 22, 1995)
- Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act of 2016, Pub. L. 114-198 § 801, 130 Stat. 755 (Jul. 22, 2016)
- Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act, 21 U.S.C.§§ 1901-1908
- International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), 50 U.S.C.§§ 1701-1706
- National Emergencies Act (NEA), 50 U.S.C.§§ 1601-1651
Code of Federal Regulations
- 31 CFR Part 598 - Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Sanctions Regulations
- 31 CFR Part 536 - Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions Regulations