Sanctions Brochures are an overview of OFAC's regulations with regard to the Democratic Republic of the Congo-Related Sanctions. They are useful quick reference tools.
Frequently Asked Questions
OFAC has compiled hundreds of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about its sanctions programs and related policies. The link below sends the user to the entire list of OFAC's FAQs.
OFAC issues interpretive guidance on specific issues related to the sanctions programs it administers. These interpretations of OFAC policy are sometimes published in response to a public request for guidance or may be released proactively by OFAC in order to address a complex topic.
- Guidance on the Provision of Certain Services Relating to the Requirements of U.S. Sanctions Laws (January 12, 2017)
- Index of Interpretative Guidance
Guidance on OFAC Licensing Policy
Certain activities related to Democratic Republic of the Congo-Related Sanctions may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Below OFAC has issued guidance and statements on specific licensing policies as they relate to the Democratic Republic of the Congo-Related Sanctions.
- Licenses for Legal Fees and Costs - Guidance on the Release of Limited Amounts of Blocked Funds for Payment of Legal Fees and Costs Incurred in Challenging the Blocking of U.S. Persons in Administrative or Civil Proceedings
- Entities Owned By Blocked Persons - Guidance On Entities Owned By Persons Whose Property And Interests In Property Are Blocked
legal framework for the Democratic Republic of the Congo Sanctions
The Democratic Republic of the Congo-Related Sanctions program represents the implementation of multiple legal authorities. Some of these authorities are in the form of an executive order issued by the President. Other authorities are public laws (statutes) passed by The Congress. These authorities are further codified by OFAC in its regulations which are published in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Modifications to these regulations are posted in the Federal Register. OFAC may also implement United Nations Security Council Resolutions (UNSCRs) with regard to the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- 13671 - Taking Additional Steps to Address the National Emergency With Respect to the Conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (July 8, 2014)
- 13413 - Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (Effective Date - October 30, 2006)
- International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), 50 U.S.C. §§ 1701-1706
- National Emergencies Act (NEA), 50 U.S.C. §§ 1601-1651
- Section 5 of the United Nations Participation Act of 1945 (UNPA), 22 U.S.C. § 287c
Code of Federal Regulations
- 31 CFR Part 547 - Democratic Republic of the Congo Sanctions Regulations
Federal Register Notices
- 83 FR 57308 - Amendment of the Democratic Republic of the Congo Sanctions Regulations
- 74 FR 25439-09 - New regulations to implement Executive Order 13413
United Nations Security Council Resolutions
- 1698 - Condemning the continuing illicit flow of weapons within and into the Democratic Republic of the Congo (31 July 2006)
- 1649 - Reiterating its serious concern regarding the continuation of hostilities by militias and foreign armed groups in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (21 December 2005)
- 1596 - Reiterating its serious concern regarding the presence of armed groups and militias in the Eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, particularly in the provinces of North and South Kivu and in the Ituri district, which perpetuate a climate of insecurity in the whole region (18 April 2005)