Frequently Asked QuestionsOFAC has compiled hundreds of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about its sanctions programs and related policies. The links below send the user to OFAC's FAQ pages.
Interpretive GuidanceOFAC issues interpretive guidance on specific issues related to the sanctions programs it administers. These interpretations of OFAC policy are sometimes published in response to a public request for guidance or may be released proactively by OFAC in order to address a complex topic.
- Guidance on the Provision of Certain Services Relating to the Requirements of U.S. Sanctions Laws (January 12, 2017)
- Index of Interpretative Guidance
Applying for a Specific OFAC LicenseIt may be in your and the U.S. government’s interest to authorize particular economic activity related to the Nicaragua-related Sanctions. Visit the link below to apply for an OFAC license.
- Apply for an OFAC License Online - Authorization from OFAC to engage in a transaction that otherwise would be prohibited.
OFAC issues general licenses in order to authorize activities that would otherwise be prohibited with regard to the Nicaragua-related Sanctions. General licenses allow all US persons to engage in the activity described in the general license without needing to apply for a specific license.
Legal Framework for the Nicaragua-related Sanctions
- 13851 - Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Nicaragua (November 27, 2018)
Code of Federal Regulations
- 31 CFR Part 582 - Nicaragua Sanctions Regulations