Sign up for Transnational Criminal Organizations Sanctions e-mail updates.
Sanctions Brochures are an overview of OFAC's regulations with regard to the Transnational Criminal Organizations Sanctions. They are useful quick reference tools.
Frequently Asked Questions
OFAC has compiled hundreds of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about its sanctions programs and related policies. The link below sends the user to the entire list of OFAC's FAQs.
OFAC issues interpretive guidance on specific issues related to the sanctions programs it administers. These interpretations of OFAC policy are sometimes published in response to a public request for guidance or may be released proactively by OFAC in order to address a complex topic.
- Guidance on the Provision of Certain Services Relating to the Requirements of U.S. Sanctions Laws (January 12, 2017)
- Index of Interpretative Guidance
Applying for a Specific OFAC License
It may be in your and the U.S. government’s interest to authorize particular economic activity related to the Transnational Criminal Organizations Sanctions. Visit the link below to apply for an OFAC license.
- Apply for an OFAC License Online - Authorization from OFAC to engage in a transaction that otherwise would be prohibited.
OFAC publishes charts of the players in and structures of Transnational Criminal Organizations with its press releases.
2023 Press Charts
- MS-13 Honduras - February 2023
2022 Press Charts
- Kinahan Organized Crime Group (KOCG) - April 2022
2021 Press Charts
- Abid Ali Khan Transnational Criminal Organization - April 2021
2018 Press Charts
- YAKUZA Yamaguchi-gumi Transnational Criminal Organization Linked Designations - October 2018
- Barakat Transnational Criminal Organization - April 2018
- Zhao WEI Transnational Criminal Organization - January 2018
2017 Press Charts
2016 Press Charts
- YAKUZA Kobe Yamaguchi-gumi Chart - December 2016
- Khanani Money Laundering Organization - October 2016
2015 Press Charts
- YAKUZA Yamaguchi-gumi Syndicate - April 2015
- MS-13 Leadership - April 2015
2013 Press Charts
- Brothers' Circle - October 2013
- MS-13 Leadership - June 2013
- YAKUZA Yamaguchi-gumi Transnational Criminal Organization Linked Designations - December 2013
LEGAL FRAMEWORK FOR Transnational Criminal Organizations Sanctions
The Transnational Criminal Organizations Sanctions program represents the implementation of multiple legal authorities. Some of these authorities are in the form of an executive order issued by the President. Other authorities are public laws (statutes) passed by The Congress. These authorities are further codified by OFAC in its regulations which are published in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Modifications to these regulations are posted in the Federal Register.
- 13863 - Taking Additional Steps to Address the National Emergency With Respect to Significant Transnational Criminal Organizations (Effective Date - March 15, 2019)
- 13581 Blocking Property of Transnational Criminal Organizations (Effective Date - July 25, 2011)
- International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), 50 U.S.C. §§ 1701-1706
- National Emergencies Act (NEA), 50 U.S.C. §§ 1601-1651
Code of Federal Regulations
- 31 CFR Part 590 - Transnational Criminal Organizations Sanctions Regulations
Federal Register Notices
- 87 FR 78484-22 - Publication of Humanitarian Sanctions Regulations Amendment and General Licenses (Nongovernmental Organizations, Agricultural, and Medicine)
- 87 FR 3207-22 - Amended Transnational Criminal Organizations Sanctions Regulations
- 84 FR 35307-19 - Amendments to the Global Terrorism Sanctions Regulations (GTSR); Transnational Criminal Organizations Sanctions Regulations (TCOSR); and Hizballah Financial Sanctions Regulations (HFSR)