Frequently Asked Questions
OFAC has compiled hundreds of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about its sanctions programs and related policies. The links below send the user to OFAC's FAQ pages.
OFAC issues interpretive guidance on specific issues related to the sanctions programs it administers. These interpretations of OFAC policy are sometimes published in response to a public request for guidance or may be released proactively by OFAC in order to address a complex topic.
- Guidance on the Provision of Certain Services Relating to the Requirements of U.S. Sanctions Laws (January 12, 2017)
- Index of Interpretative Guidance
Applying for a Specific OFAC License
It may be in your and the U.S. government’s interest to authorize particular economic activity related to the Venezuela-related Sanctions. Visit the link below to apply for an OFAC license.
- Apply for an OFAC License Online - Authorization from OFAC to engage in a transaction that otherwise would be prohibited.
OFAC issues general licenses in order to authorize activities that would otherwise be prohibited with regard to Venezuela. General licenses allow all US persons to engage in the activity described in the general license without needing to apply for a specific license.
- Venezuela General License 2A - Authorizing Certain New Debt, New Equity, and Securities Transactions Involving PDV Holding, Inc. and CITGO Holding, Inc.
- Venezuela General License 3H - Authorizing Transactions Related to, Provision of Financing for, and Other Dealings in Certain Bonds
- Venezuela General License 4C - Authorizing Certain New Debt Transactions and Other Transactions Involving Certain Blocked Persons Related to the Exportation or Reexportation of Agricultural Commodities, Medicine, Medical Devices, Replacement Parts and Components, or Software Updates
- Venezuela General License 5H - Authorizing Certain Transactions Related to the Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. 2020 8.5 Percent Bond on or After January 21, 2022
- Venezuela General License 7C - Authorizing Certain Activities Involving PDV Holding, Inc. and CITGO Holding, Inc.
- Venezuela General License 8H - Authorizing Transactions Involving Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (PdVSA) Necessary for the Limited Maintenance of Essential Operations in Venezuela or the Wind Down of Operations in Venezuela for Certain Entities
- Venezuela General License 9G - Authorizing Transactions Related to Dealings in Certain Securities
- Venezuela General License 10A - Authorizing the Purchase in Venezuela of Refined Petroleum Products from Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (PdVSA)
- Venezuela General License 15C - Authorizing Transactions Involving Certain Banks for Certain Entities
- Venezuela General License 16C - Authorizing Maintenance of U.S. Person Accounts and Noncommercial, Personal Remittances involving Certain Banks
- Venezuela General License 18A - Authorizing Certain Transactions Involving Integración Administradora de Fondos de Ahorro Previsional, S.A.
- Venezuela General License 20B - Authorizing Official Activities of Certain International Organizations Involving the Government of Venezuela
Venezuela General License 21 - Entries in Certain Accounts for Normal Service Charges and Payments and Transfers to Blocked Accounts in U.S. Financial Institutions Authorized
- Venezuela General License 22 - Venezuela’s Mission to the United Nations
- Venezuela General License 23 - Third-country Diplomatic and Consular Funds Transfers Authorized
- Venezuela General License 24 - Certain Transactions Involving the Government of Venezuela Related to Telecommunications and Mail Authorized
- Venezuela General License 25 - Exportation of Certain Services, Software, Hardware, and Technology Incident to the Exchange of Communications over the Internet Authorized
- Venezuela General License 26 - Emergency and Certain Other Medical Services Authorized
- Venezuela General License 27 - Certain Transactions Related to Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights Authorized
- Venezuela General License 29 - Certain Transactions Involving the Government of Venezuela in Support of Certain Nongovernmental Organizations’ Activities Authorized
- Venezuela General License 30A - Authorizing Certain Transactions Necessary to Port and Airport Operations
- Venezuela General License 31A - Certain Transactions Involving the IV Venezuelan National Assembly, the Interim President of Venezuela, and Certain Other Persons Authorized
- Venezuela General License 32 - Authorizing Certain Transactions Related to Personal Maintenance of Individuals who are U.S. Persons Residing in Venezuela
- Venezuela General License 33 - Authorizing Overflight Payments, Emergency Landings, and Air Ambulance Services
- Venezuela General License 34A - Authorizing Transactions Involving Certain Government of Venezuela Persons
- Venezuela General License 35 - Authorizing Certain Administrative Transactions with the Government of Venezuela
- Venezuela General License 39 - Authorizing Certain Activities to Respond to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic
- Venezuela General License 40 - Authorizing Certain Transactions Involving the Exportation or Reexportation of Liquefied Petroleum Gas to Venezuela
- Archive of Expired General Licenses
Guidance on OFAC Licensing Policy
Certain activities related to the Venezuela-related Sanctions may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Below OFAC has issued guidance and statements on specific licensing policies as they relate to the Venezuela-related Sanctions.
- Licenses for Legal Fees and Costs - Guidance on the Release of Limited Amounts of Blocked Funds for Payment of Legal Fees and Costs Incurred in Challenging the Blocking of U.S. Persons in Administrative or Civil Proceedings
- Entities Owned By Blocked Persons - Guidance On Entities Owned By Persons Whose Property And Interests In Property Are Blocked
- Guidance Related to the Provision of Humanitarian Assistance and Support to the Venezuelan People
The Venezuela-related Sanctions program represents the implementation of multiple legal authorities. Some of these authorities are in the form of an executive order issued by the President. Other authorities are public laws (statutes) passed by The Congress. These authorities are further codified by OFAC in its regulations which are published in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Modifications to these regulations are posted in the Federal Register.
- 13884 - Blocking Property of the Government of Venezuela - (August 5, 2019)
- 13857 - Taking Additional Steps to Address the National Emergency With Respect to Venezuela (January 25, 2019)
- 13850 - Blocking Property of Additional Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela (November 1, 2018)
- 13835 - Prohibiting Certain Additional Transactions with Respect to Venezuela (May 21, 2018)
- 13827 - Taking Additional Steps to Address the Situation in Venezuela (March 19, 2018)
- 13808 - Imposing Additional Sanctions with Respect to the Situation in Venezuela (August 24, 2017)
- 13692 - Blocking Property and Suspending Entry of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela (March 8, 2015)
- Determination Pursuant to Executive Order 13850 of November 1, 2018, as Amended (Effective date - May 9, 2019) - Defense and Security Sector
- Determination Pursuant to Executive Order 13850 of November 1, 2018, as Amended (Effective date - March 22, 2019) - Financial Sector
- Determination Pursuant to Executive Order 13850 of November 1, 2018, as Amended (Effective date - January 28, 2019) - Oil Sector
- Venezuela Defense of Human Rights and Civil Society Act of 2014
- International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), 50 U.S.C. §§ 1701-1706
- National Emergencies Act (NEA), 50 U.S.C. §§ 1601-1651
Code of Federal Regulations
- 31 CFR Part 591 - Venezuela Sanctions Regulations
Federal Register Notices
- 86 FR 59024-21 - Publication of Venezuela Web General License 8 and Subsequent Iterations
- 86 FR 58016-21 - Publication of Venezuela Web General License 7 and Subsequent Iterations
- 85 FR 76450-20 - Publication of Web General Licenses (GL 5) Issued Pursuant to the Venezuela Sanctions Regulations
- 84 FR 64415-19 - Publication of Amended Venezuela Sanctions Regulations
- 80 FR 39676-15 - Final Rule Issuing the Venezuela Sanctions Regulations