DATE: March 18, 1993
ADMINISTRATIVE EDIT: August 2, 2019
SUBJECT: Relief for Treasury obligations
- DELEGATION. By virtue of the authority vested in the Secretary of the Treasury under 31 U.S.C. 321(b), and by virtue of the authority delegated to the Fiscal Assistant Secretary by Treasury Order (TO) 101-05, 1 hereby delegate to the Commissioner of the Bureau of the Fiscal Service the authority prescribed under 31 U.S.C. 3125 to:
- provide relief for the loss, theft, destruction, mutilation, or defacement of an obligation identified by number and description;
- prescribe the form, amount, and surety or security requirements for an indemnity bond required as a condition of relief if the obligation is payable to bearer or assigned so as to become payable to bearer and is not proven clearly to have been destroyed; and
- provide relief for interest coupons claimed to have been attached to an obligation upon a determination that the coupons have not been paid and have been destroyed or will not become the basis of a valid claim against the Government.
- SCOPE. This directive applies to all bureaus, offices, and organizations in the Department of the Treasury, including the offices of inspectors general within the Department. The provisions of this order shall not be construed to interfere with or impede the authorities or independence of the Department’s Inspector General, the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration, or the Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program
- REDELEGATION. The authority delegated above to the Commissioner of the Bureau of the Fiscal Service may be redelegated to subordinate officials.
- CANCELLATION. Treasury Directive 16-51, "Relief for Treasury Obligations," dated September 22, 1986, is superseded.
- AUTHORITY. TO 101-05, "Reporting Relationships and Supervision of Officials, Offices and Bureaus, Delegation of Certain Authority, and Order of Succession in the Department of the Treasury."
- REFERENCE. 31 CFR Part 306, Subpart N.
- OFFICE OF PRIMARY INTEREST. Office of the Fiscal Assistant Secretary.
Fiscal Assistant Secretary