DATE: January 31, 2018
ADMINISTRATIVE EDIT: December 13, 2022
SUBJECT: Official Seal of the Department of the Treasury
- PURPOSE. This Directive sets forth policy for the appearance, use, and display of the Department of the Treasury seal.
- SCOPE. This Directive applies to all bureaus, offices, and organizations in the Department of the Treasury, including the Offices of Inspectors General. The provisions of this Directive shall not be construed to interfere with or impede the authorities or independence of the Offices of Inspector General.
- POLICY. It is the policy of the Department that appropriate controls be placed on the use of the seal and other official insignia of the Department and its bureaus. Treasury Order 100- 01, “The Department of the Treasury Seal,” approved the design of the official seal.
- The Department seal design implementation including the shield and reproduction guidelines should be in accordance with Treasury Order 100-01, paragraphs 2, 3, and 4.
- Authorized use of the official seal includes attaching the Treasury seal on all official Treasury publications and documents and reproducing the seal on Treasury-owned property, including stationery. A 15-inch diameter fiberglass wall plaque of the seal, produced in accordance with the Bureau of Engraving and Printing specifications, is authorized for display on official Treasury property. In addition, the use of the Treasury seal, bureau seals, badges, or other insignia similarly used as a substitute for the official Treasury seal, is authorized for:
- 1) the printing of business cards for an employee’s official use;
- 2) manufacture of personal items sold by, or through, Treasury employee organizations, where the use of the seal or insignia for such items has been approved by the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Treasury Operations, a Bureau Head, or an Inspector General;
- 3) the manufacture of plaques or other commemorative souvenirs for presentation to employees or others for service rendered to the Department with the prior approval of the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Treasury Operations or the Bureau Head or Inspector General responsible for their distribution; and
- 4) other uses of the Department’s seal and insignia as determined by the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Treasury Operations and of bureau seals and insignia as determined by the heads of the respective bureaus. These officials shall seek advice of counsel in making such determinations.
- 31 USC 301(g).
- 31 USC 321(b).
- 18 USC 701.
- 31 USC 333.
- 18 USC 506.
- 18 USC 1017.
- Treasury Directive 12-51, “Affixing the Department of the Treasury Seal.”
- Treasury Order 100-01, “The Department of the Treasury Seal.”
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing Drawing MC-5123-A, May 6, 1968, Treasury seal wall plaque specification.
- CANCELLATION. Treasury Directive 73-04, “Official Seal of the Department of the Treasury,” dated August 13, 2014, is superseded.
- OFFICE OF PRIMARY INTEREST. Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Treasury Operations.
Kody H. Kinsley
Assistant Secretary for