DATE: March 2, 1989
ADMINISTRATIVE EDIT: August 2, 2019
SUBJECT: Delegation to the Commissioner of the Bureau of the Fiscal Service for the Destruction of Retired and Unissued Securities and Coupons
- DELEGATION. The authority and responsibility delegated to me, as Fiscal Assistant Secretary, by Treasury Order 135-01, "Delegation of Authority and Responsibility for Destruction of Security Items," dated November 7, 1988, for the destruction of retired and unissued securities, and coupons, are hereby redelegated to the Commissioner of the Bureau of the Fiscal Service.
- SCOPE. This directive applies to all bureaus, offices, and organizations in the Department of the Treasury, including the offices of inspectors general within the Department. The provisions of this order shall not be construed to interfere with or impede the authorities or independence of the Department’s Inspector General, the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration, or the Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program.
- REDELEGATION. The Commissioner of the Bureau of the Fiscal Service may redelegate the authority and responsibility delegated to him/her herein to Assistant Commissioners of the Bureau, who may redelegate such authority and responsibility to their subordinates or authorize a Federal Reserve Bank or Branch, acting as fiscal agent of the United States, to carry out destruction of retired and unissued securities and coupons in accordance with Treasury procedures.
- AUTHORITY. To the extent they are not inconsistent with this directive, the "Regulations Governing the Destruction of Security Items of the Fiscal Service, Department of the Treasury," dated August 30, 1978, issued by the Fiscal Assistant Secretary, shall apply and remain in force until the Commissioner of the Bureau of the Fiscal Service, pursuant to this delegation, adopts new destruction procedures following review by the Assistant Secretary (Enforcement) for security concerns. The Commissioner is further authorized to modify and adapt the existing procedures to accommodate any redelegations that may occur.
- OFFICES OF PRIMARY INTEREST. Office of the Commissioner of the Bureau of the Fiscal Service, Office of the Fiscal Assistant Secretary and Office of the Assistant Secretary (Enforcement).
Fiscal Assistant Secretary