ADMINISTRATIVE EDIT: June 24, 2021
SUBJECT: Delegation of Authority to Sign the United States Certificate of Release of a Motor Vehicle (Standard Form No. 97)
- PURPOSE. This Order delegates the authority to sign Standard Form 97, which is used to transfer ownership of Department of the Treasury motor vehicles when such motor vehicles will be retitled to a state, commonwealth, territory, or possession of the United States or the District of Columbia.
- DELEGATION. By virtue of the authority vested in me as Secretary of the Treasury, including the authority set forth in 5 U.S.C. 301, I hereby delegate to the following officials of the Treasury authority to sign the United States Government Certificate of Release of a Motor Vehicle (Standard Form No. 97) for the transfer of the title of a purchased, seized, or forfeited motor vehicle, from the United States Government to a private purchaser:
Commissioner of Internal Revenue
Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration
Director, Treasury Executive Office for Asset Forfeiture
- REDELEGATION. This authority may be redelegated in writing to an appropriate subordinate official.
- CANCELLATION. Treasury Order 101-03, “Delegation of Authority to Sign the United States Certificate of Release of a Motor Vehicle (Standard Form No. 97),” dated November 2, 1979, is superseded.
- OFFICE OF PRIMARY INTEREST. Office of Support Services, Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Treasury Operations, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Management.
Jacob J. Lew
Secretary of the Treasury