DATE: January 6, 2016
SUBJECT: Claims for Loss or Damage to Personal Property
- PURPOSE. This Order delegates authority to settle and pay claims of Treasury Department officers and employees for damage or loss of personal property related to service.
- SCOPE. This Order applies to all bureaus, offices, and organizations in the Department of the Treasury, including the offices of inspectors general within the Department. The provisions of this order shall not be construed to interfere with or impede the authorities or independence of the Department’s inspectors general.
- DELEGATION. By virtue of the authority vested in me by 5 U.S.C 301 and 31 U.S.C. 321, there is hereby delegated to the head of each bureau the authority under the Military Personnel and Civilian Employees’ Claims Act of 1964, 31 U.S.C. 3721, as amended, to settle and pay claims made by a civilian officer or employee of the Treasury Department, for damage to or loss of personal property incident to his service. The Assistant Secretary for Management is authorized to issue a Treasury Directive that further delegates the authority under 31 U.S.C. 3721 and provides processes for implementing the Department’s legal obligations related to such claims.
- REDELEGATION. This authority may be further delegated by the Assistant Secretary for Management.
- The Military Personnel and Civilian Employees’ Claims Act of 1964, P.L. 88-558, as amended, codified at 31 U.S.C. 3721.
- EXCEPTIONS. None.
- CANCELLATION. Treasury Order 101-15, “Claim for Damage to or Loss of Personal Property,” dated December 27, 1968, is superseded.
- OFFICE OF PRIMARY INTEREST. Office of the Assistant Secretary for Management.
Jacob J. Lew
Secretary of the Treasury