DATE: May 8, 2009
ADMINISTRATIVE EDIT: January 15, 2015
SUBJECT: Delegation of Authority to Approve Death Gratuity Payments
- DELEGATION. By virtue of the authority vested in the Secretary of the Treasury by 31 USC 321(b), there is hereby delegated to the heads of bureaus, the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA), and the Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program (SIGTARP), the duties and powers of the Secretary related to the death gratuity payments provided under Section 651 of Public Law 104-208 (5 U.S.C.A Section 8133 note) and Section 1603 of Public Law 109-234, as amended. For purposes of this delegation, the Assistant Secretary for Management shall serve as the head of the bureau for the Departmental Offices (DO).
- SCOPE. This Order applies to DO, all Treasury bureaus, OIG, TIGTA, and SIGTARP. The authority of the Inspectors General is set forth in the Inspector General Act of 1978, as amended, 5 USC App. 3, the Internal Revenue Service Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998, and the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008, as amended, and defined in Treasury Order 114-01 (OIG) and Treasury Order 115-01 (TIGTA), or successor orders. The provisions of this directive shall not be construed to interfere with that authority.
- RESPONSIBILITIES. The Assistant Secretary for Management will issue any policy or procedures necessary to implement this Order.
- CANCELLATION. Treasury Order 101-21, "Delegation of Authority to Approve Death Gratuity Payments," dated July 17, 1997, is superseded.
- OFFICE OF PRIMARY INTEREST. Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary, Human Resources and Chief Human Capital Officer.
Timothy F. Geithner
Secretary of the Treasury