DATE: September 13, 1996
REAFFIRMED: August 27, 2001
SUBJECT: Assignment of Function for Domestic Counterterrorism
Pursuant to the authority vested in the Secretary of the Treasury, including the authority vested by 31 U.S.C. 321(b), it is ordered that:
- Responsibility for the Department's response to domestic counterterrorism activities is vested in the Assistant Secretary (Management) & CFO as it concerns protection of Treasury personnel and facilities, and the people and facilities under Treasury's jurisdiction. Nothing in this Order shall be construed to interfere with the authority of the U.S. Secret Service under Section 202 of Title 3 or Section 3056 of Title 18, United States Code, dealing with the Secret Service's protective duties.
- The above authority shall be exercised, on behalf of the Assistant Secretary (Management) & CFO, by the Director of Security under the auspices of the Treasury Terrorism Advisory Group (TTAG). The Director of Security shall chair meetings of the TTAG and work with counterparts in the Law Enforcement Community and others as appropriate. The Director of Security shall coordinate with the Office of the Under Secretary (Enforcement) on the Department's planning and related activities with respect to domestic counterterrorism issues.
- The Office of Intelligence Support shall provide necessary support to the Director of Security in fulfilling these obligations.
- The Office of the Under Secretary (Enforcement) and Treasury Law Enforcement bureaus, as well as Treasury Financial bureaus that are made privy to counterterrorism materials, shall assist the Director of Security and provide needed support as may be requested by the Director of Security.
- EFFECTIVE DATE. The above arrangements shall be effective immediately.
Robert E. Rubin
Secretary of the Treasury