DATE: June 8, 2021
SUBJECT: Electronic Funds and Securities Transfer Policy -- Message Authentication and Enhanced Security
- PURPOSE. This Order establishes the delegation of authorities to the Fiscal Assistant Secretary, relating to the implementation of an Electronic Funds and Securities Transfer Policy within the Department of the Treasury.
- SCOPE. This Order applies to the Office of the Fiscal Assistant Secretary. The Assistant Secretary of Management is responsible for providing technical support, including: evaluating proposed security techniques; maintaining a list of approved authentication and other security devices; providing key materials for fielded systems; and providing consulting services within the Department of the Treasury as required.
- POLICY. It is the policy of the Department of the Treasury to prevent the unauthorized manipulation, modification, or loss of electronic funds transfer (EFT) data.
- It is Treasury policy that EFT transactions be properly authenticated in conformance with International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 16609 (2012) “Requirements for Message Authentication Using Symmetric Techniques” and related standards or an equivalent authentication technique. These standards establish a universally applicable method to authenticate financial messages, including fund transfers, letters of credit, security transfers, loan agreements, and foreign exchange contracts which are transmitted by electronic means.
- This policy shall be applied to federal systems that originate, transmit, relay, receive, or process U.S. Government EFT transactions.
- DELEGATION. By virtue of the authority vested in the Secretary of the Treasury by 31 U.S.C. 321(b)(2), it is hereby delegated to the Fiscal Assistant Secretary the authority to execute the provisions of this order within the Department of the Treasury.
- REDELEGATION. The authority delegated to the Fiscal Assistant Secretary herein may be redelegated.
- CANCELLATION. Treasury Order 106-09, "Electronic Funds and Securities Transfer Policy – Message Authentication and Enhanced Security," dated October 2, 1986, is superseded.
- OFFICE OF PRIMARY INTEREST. Office of the Fiscal Assistant Secretary and the Assistant Secretary of Management.
Secretary of the Treasury