DATE: January 15, 2009
REAFFIRMED: January 27, 2017
SUBJECT: Delegation of Personnel Authority to Deputy Assistant Secretary for Human Resources and Chief Human Capital Officer
- DELEGATION. Pursuant to Treasury Order (TO) 102-01, "Delegation of Authority Concerning Personnel Management," dated January 17, 2008, this directive redelegates from the Assistant Secretary for Management to the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Human Resources and Chief Human Capital Officer (DASHR/CHCO), the authority to act and make final decisions in those matters which are covered by paragraph 1 of that Order or successor Orders, unless otherwise expressly limited by statute, regulation, directive, or written policy, and which fall within the categories below:
- the establishment of personnel management policies for all constituent elements of the Department, and the promulgation of procedures and instructions to implement such policies, including, but not limited to, redelegation of personnel authority to bureaus;
- the evaluation and correction of personnel management programs at all organizational levels;
- the taking of final actions with respect to prohibited personnel practices in the Department in response to recommendations by the Special Counsel or orders by the Merit Systems Protection Board after consulting with appropriate senior Departmental officials on matters involving positions under their respective jurisdictions;
- the review and approval, in accordance with 5 USC 7114(c), of all agency collective bargaining agreements that are negotiated at the bureau or national level, whether such agreements are basic or midterm in nature;
- the implementation of Executive Order (EO) 12564, "Drug-Free Federal Workplace;" and
- the exercise of all personnel authorities which have been, or may be, specifically delegated to the Assistant Secretary for Management by the Office of Personnel Management, or the Secretary, and which may be redelegated, subject to the provisions in paragraph 2. below, except for those authorities related to Departmental Offices that the Assistant Secretary for Management exercises in the capacity of bureau head.
- RESERVED AUTHORITIES. The Secretary, Deputy Secretary, and the Assistant Secretary for Management shall retain the right to exercise any authority that is delegated under this directive, and to review any other official's exercise of an authority that is delegated under this directive.
- REDELEGATION. The DASHR/CHCO shall act, in all matters within this delegation, under the general supervision of the Assistant Secretary for Management. The DASHR/CHCO may redelegate to officials in the Department so much of the authority described herein as the Deputy Assistant Secretary may deem appropriate.
- AUTHORITIES NOT AFFECTED BY THIS DIRECTIVE. The authority of the Inspector General or the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration concerning personnel management as defined in Treasury Orders 114-01 or 115-01 respectively, or any successor Orders; the statutory authorities of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Director, Office of Thrift Supervision to appoint, direct and compensate employees of those offices; the statutory authority of the Chairperson of the Internal Revenue Service Oversight Board to appoint and terminate personnel of the Board; and the personnel authority of the General Counsel with respect to personnel of the Legal Division, as defined in Treasury Orders 107-04, "The General Counsel" and 107-07, "Personnel Authority over Personnel Employed by the Office of the Chief Counsel, Internal Revenue Service," or any successor Orders; are not affected by this directive.
- PERSONNEL SECURITY. Authority with respect to the Department's personnel security program is governed by a separate delegation in Treasury Directive 12-32, "Delegation of Authority Concerning Personnel Security."
- AUTHORITY. TO 102-01, "Delegation of Authority Concerning Personnel Management," dated January 17, 2008.
- CANCELLATION. Treasury Directive 12-31, "Redelegation of Personnel Authority," dated May 4, 1989 is superseded and Treasury Directive 12-36, "Redelegation of Agency Head Review Authority," dated January 10, 2002; and Treasury Directive 61-10, "Drug-Free Federal Workplace," dated January 12, 2000, are cancelled.
- OFFICE OF PRIMARY INTEREST. Office of the Assistant Secretary for Management, Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Human Resources and Chief Human Capital Officer.
Peter B. McCarthy
Assistant Secretary for Management
and Chief Financial Officer