The Treasury Building has evolved through a number of additions and alterations. Over the course of its development, the building has amassed a variety of architectural fragments that now constitute a diverse study collection. Examples include sections of vaults, iron work fragments both structural and decorative, plaster work and hardware. The architectural study collection was expanded significantly during a comprehensive restoration and modernization project of the Treasury Building from 1997 to 2007.
The West Wing was completed in 1864 and fronts the White House. Historically, it has functioned as the site of a presidential office as well as the first home of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. Read about the wing and its many historical associations has part of the legacy of this landmark building.