Emergency Rental Assistance Program

The Emergency Rental Assistance program provides funding for government entities to assist households unable to pay rent or utilities.

How federal rental assistance works

Treasury provides emergency rental assistance funding to the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, Tribally Designated Housing Entities, state, local, territorial, and Tribal governments to distribute assistance to qualifying landlords, utility providers, and renters, which helps struggling renters to keep up with rent and other expenses related to housing. Many of these programs offer assistance to landlords, utility providers, and renters. Renters, utility providers, and landlords can find out what emergency rental assistance covers, how it works, and who's eligible on the interagency housing portal hosted by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).

Find out how federal rental assistance works

Find rental assistance

View an index of all emergency rental assistance programs to find assistance near you.

Reasonable accommodation

If you require a reasonable accommodation or communication access services such as Communication Access Real-Time Translation (CART) or sign language interpreters in order to access Emergency Rental Assistance, please contact ReasonableAccommodationRequests@treasury.gov.

Please submit sign language interpreter requests at least five days in advance of any interaction with an Emergency Rental Assistance Program.

Civil Rights complaints

To file a program discrimination complaint about an Emergency Rental Assistance Program, send your complaint to:

Director, Office of Civil Rights and Diversity

1500 Pennsylvania Ave, N.W.
Washington, DC 20220

What the Department of the Treasury will do to ensure nondiscrimination

The Department of the Treasury will conduct investigations of civil rights complaints filed against recipients of financial assistance under any of its programs, and will conduct pre and post award compliance reviews. If discrimination is found, the Department of the Treasury can defer action on an application for federal financial assistance, issue a cautionary letter, or as an ultimate consequence deny funding. Independently of any possible actions to be taken by the Department of the Treasury, courts have interpreted that Title VI provides a private right of action.

Report fraud, waste, and abuse

The Office of Inspector General offers the following guidance, which is also available at:

Report Fraud, Waste, and Abuse | Office of Inspector General (treasury.gov).

To Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) and other program applicants receiving benefits from States, the District of Columbia (DC), Local governments, U.S. Territories, Tribes, Tribally Designated Housing Entities (TDHEs), or the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands (DHHL):

  • If you believe that you have been the victim of fraud, as applicable, you should file a police report with your State, Local, Tribal, Territorial, or DC law enforcement agency with primary law enforcement jurisdiction. This is usually the same agency that responds to 911 calls. Many State Attorney General's Offices also investigate fraud.
  • Treasury OIG will assist State, Local, Territorial, Tribal, and DC law enforcement agencies, as needed.
  • You should also report fraud to the local agency responsible for disbursing Rental Assistance funds (the entity who accepts and processes your ERA applications for rental assistance) or the District of Columbia, Tribe, TDHE, DHHL, State, Local government, or Territorial Agency that oversees the program.


Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse to Treasury

Funding to states, local, territorial, and Tribal governments

Even as the American economy continues its recovery from the devastating impact of the pandemic, millions of Americans face deep rental debt and fear evictions and the loss of basic housing security. COVID-19 has exacerbated an affordable housing crisis that predated the pandemic and that has deep disparities that threaten the strength of an economic recovery that must work for everyone.

To meet this need, the Emergency Rental Assistance program makes funding available to government entities to assist households that are unable to pay rent or utilities.
Learn more about funding to state, local, territorial, and Tribal governments for Emergency Rental Assistance