Keeping Families in their Homes
Even as the American economy continues its recovery from the devastating impact of the pandemic, millions of Americans face deep rental debt and fear evictions and the loss of basic housing security. COVID-19 has exacerbated an affordable housing crisis that predated the pandemic and that has exacerbated deep disparities that threaten the strength of an economic recovery that must work for everyone.
To meet this need, the Emergency Rental Assistance program makes funding available to assist households that are unable to pay rent or utilities. Two separate programs have been established: ERA1 provides up to $25 billion under the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021, which was enacted on December 27, 2020, and ERA2 provides up to $21.55 billion under the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, which was enacted on March 11, 2021. The funds are provided directly to states, U.S. territories, local governments, and (in the case of ERA1) Indian tribes or Tribally Designated Housing Entities, as applicable, and the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands. Grantees use the funds to provide assistance to eligible households through existing or newly created rental assistance programs.
View an index of all emergency rental assistance programs to find assistance near you.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
On August 25, 2021, Treasury updated its previously issued ERA FAQs to provide additional information and guidance for the ERA1 and ERA2 programs. Eligible entities should carefully review these updates as they address significant program implementation issues.
View example self-attestation forms currently used by ERA grantees.
State, Locality and Territorial ERA1 and ERA1 Recipients are required to submit brief two-question monthly reports for the months of August, September, October, November and December 2021. The reports are due the 15th calendar day of the following month.
All Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA1 and ERA2) Recipients must submit full Quarter 1, Quarter 2 and Quarter 3 compliance reports by October 15, 2021. The Treasury Portal will be made available to all recipients in mid-September for submitting the required reports.
- ERA Reporting Guidance v 1.0 provides detailed information on ERA1 and ERA2 reporting requirements and reporting deadlines. See Appendix 1 for details on the quarterly reporting required of Recipients that are Tribes, Tribally Designated Housing Entities, and the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands. This Guidance will be updated periodically and all updates will be posted here.
- User Guide – Treasury's Portal for Recipient Reporting, Emergency Rental Assistance Programs v1.1 includes step-by-step guidance for submitting the required ERA1 and ERA2 Quarterly Reports using Treasury’s Portal.
- Guidance on ERA1 and ERA2 Partial Q2 Reports
Treasury is also providing program data reported by grantees:
- Emergency Rental Assistance Program Interim Report: January 1 – May 31, 2021
- Key Findings from Program Interim Report
- Emergency Rental Assistance Program Monthly Compliance Report: June 1-30, 2021
- Emergency Rental Assistance Monthly Compliance Report: July 1- 31, 2021
- PRESS RELEASE: Treasury Data: Amount of June Emergency Rental Assistance Resources to Households More Than All Previous Months Combined
- PRESS RELEASE: Treasury Announces Seven Additional Policies to Encourage State and Local Governments to Expedite Emergency Rental Assistance