Below is information about requesting records from the Treasury Department. For more information, please view the Guide to Accessing Treasury Records
Your FOIA request for Treasury Department records has to meet the following criteria before Treasury can take action:
- It must be in writing and signed by the person making the request;
- It must state that the request is being made pursuant to the FOIA;
- It must reasonably describe the records being requested;
- It must state the category of the requester for fee purposes (i.e., commercial, media, educational, all other);
- It must contain an agreement to pay fees (minimum of $25.00) that might be incurred; or a request that such fees be waived or reduced and a justification for such request;
- It must state whether a copy of the records is desired, or inspection of records only;
- It must be addressed to the Treasury bureau that maintains the requested records.
See the complete list of FOIA Frequently Asked Questions
Fees may be charged only for the cost of duplication, without regard to whether the request was processed under the Privacy Act, the Freedom of Information Act, or both. The first l00 pages will be provided without charge.