Looking for rental assistance?

Renters and landlords can find out what emergency rental assistance covers, how it works, and who’s eligible on the interagency housing portal hosted by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).

Report fraud, waste, and abuse

The Office of Inspector General offers the following guidance, which is also available at:

Report Fraud, Waste, and Abuse | Office of Inspector General (treasury.gov).


To Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) and other program GRANTEES (States, the District of Columbia (DC), Local governments, U.S. Territories, Tribes, Tribally Designated Housing Entities (TDHEs), and the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands (DHHL) that received funds directly from Treasury) and/or sub-grantee agencies:

  • As the administrator responsible for the management of the ERA Program funds, you should take reasonable efforts to identify waste, fraud and abuse.
  • Fraud should be reported, as applicable to your State, Local, Tribal, Territorial, or DC primary law enforcement agency.
  • Fraud in excess of $100,000 should also be reported by the ERA Grantee to Treasury OIG.
  • Individual fraud associated with a single IP address, or other linking factor, that collectively exceeds $100,000 should be reported to Treasury OIG.
  • Fraud or schemes involving public officials or employees of the ERA Grantee and/or sub grantee agency should be reported to Treasury OIG regardless of the amount of the fraud.
  • To file a complaint, you may visit https://oig.treasury.gov/report-fraud-waste-and-abuse or click the Report Fraud, Waste, and Abuse to Treasury button below.


Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse to Treasury


Renters and landlords should follow these instructions on reporting fraud, waste, and abuse.