The Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) authorized by the American Rescue Plan Act, provides $9.961 billion to support homeowners facing financial hardship associated with COVID-19. HAF funds were distributed to states, U.S. Territories, and Indian Tribes. Funds from HAF may be used for assistance with mortgage payments, homeowner’s insurance, utility payments, and other specified purposes.
Program recipients with questions about reporting, technical issues, eligible uses of funds, or other items click here for self-service resources.
Through 2022, HAF-funded programs have assisted over 230,000 homeowners, helping to prevent mortgage delinquencies and defaults, foreclosures, losses of utilities and home energy services, and displacement. In 2022, foreclosure filings were significantly lower than in any pre-pandemic year with available data. Data also show that very low-income homeowners, homeowners of color, and female homeowners have received a majority of HAF assistance.
Find homeowner assistance
View information about how to connect with homeowner assistance near you.
- Guidance: On May 19, OMB published the Compliance Supplement. To view the relevant section on the Treasury website please see the 2023 HAF Compliance Supplement
- Program and Service Design: On May 15, Treasury published a resource to support HAF Programs with Strategies for Determining Eligibility of Homeowners Based on Income.
- Reporting: On April 7, Treasury released HAF Quarterly Compliance Data through Q4 2022 and Overview.
- On April 7, Treasury published updates to the Homeowner Assistance Fund Reporting FAQs
- On April 5, Treasury published resources to support HAF Programs with Strategic Outreach to Homeowners and Income Verification Approaches. Additionally, an example of a COVID-19 Pandemic Impact Questionnaire was also published.
- On April 3, Treasury published instructions for Tribes to access allocation adjustment funds.
- On March 7, Treasury published updated HAF guidance that clarifies certain requirements for certain tribes and tribal entities.
- On February 14, Treasury published the HAF Tribal Allocation Adjustment Overview.
- Reporting: On February 10, 2023 Treasury released HAF Quarterly Compliance Data through Q3 2022 and Overview.
- Treasury published updates to the Homeowner Assistance Fund Reporting FAQs
- Reporting: On December 2, 2022 Treasury released HAF Quarterly Compliance Data through Q2 2022 and Overview.
- Treasury published a resource to support HAF Programs Collaborate with Servicers on November 18, 2022.
- Treasury published a resource supporting Tribal Governments submitting the HAF Quarterly and Annual Reports.
- Treasury published resources to support Tribal Governments submitting HAF Plans including a recording and slides.
- Treasury published updates to the Homeowner Assistance Fund Reporting FAQs & HAF Quarterly Report User Guide, and has published the HAF Annual Report User Guide.
- The portal is now open for the HAF Q3 2022 Quarterly Report and the first HAF Annual Report. All HAF participants are required to submit the Annual Report and the Q3 Quarterly Report. This will be the first Quarterly Report for Tribal Governments with allocations under $5 million and the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands. Both Reports are due November 15, 2022.
- Guidance: Treasury updated HAF Guidance on August 8, 2022 to provide additional guidance on the reimbursement of certain qualified expenses.
- On July 21, Treasury published a Program and Service Design resource on tips on improving the Design of Your HAF Program.
- Treasury published update to the following: Homeowner Assistance Fund Reporting FAQs, HAF Quarterly Report User Guide, HAF Guidance on Participant Compliance and Reporting Responsibilities
- The deadline for the HAF Annual Performance Report, as well as the first Quarterly Report for Tribal Governments with allocations under $5 million and the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, has been postponed from August 15, 2022 to November 15, 2022.
- Quarterly Reports for States, Territories, and Tribal Governments with allocations over $5 million are due on August 15, 2022. Entities required to provide reporting by August 15 will receive an email from Treasury shortly with additional information on quarterly reporting.
- On May 6th, Treasury published a Statement from Secretaries Yellen, Fudge, McDonough, and Vilsack on Continued Efforts to Connect Homeowners to Pandemic Relief
HAF Plans: On April 6, 2022, Treasury published approved HAF Plans for state programs.
Promising Practices: On April 6, 2022, Treasury published Promising Practices for Helping Homeowners Determine their Best Options and Strategic Outreach.
- Reporting: Treasury published Draft HAF Guidance on Quarterly and Annual Reporting Responsibilities for HAF Participants. The draft HAF Guidance is open for public comment through April 14, 2022 and comments can be submitted to Treasury by email at HAF@Treasury.gov. Please include “HAF Quarterly and Annual Guidance Comments” in the subject header of the email.
- Guidance: Treasury updated HAF Guidance on February 24, 2022 to provide additional guidance on the use of program income, eligible housing counseling services, administrative expenses, eligible uses of funds, and approaches for household income verification.
- UPDATE – Deadline for Notice of Funds Request: The Deadline for a Tribe, Tribally Designated Housing Entity (TDHE), or the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands to submit a notice of funds request has been extended to December 15, 2021.
- UPDATE—HAF PLANS: Treasury has published updated guidance and related materials for HAF participants to use in the development of their HAF Plans. The HAF Plan submission portal is now online and available. Consistent with the 14-day timeframe previously announced, HAF participants representing states and territories should submit their completed plans or notify Treasury of the date the participant will submit a completed plan, by August 20. This deadline does not apply to Tribes and Tribally Designated Entities (TDHEs). ALL HAF PLANS MUST BE SUBMITTED THROUGH THE ONLINE PORTAL.