The Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) authorized by the American Rescue Plan Act, provides $9.961 billion to support homeowners facing financial hardship associated with COVID-19. HAF funds were distributed to states, U.S. Territories, and Indian Tribes. Funds from HAF may be used for assistance with mortgage payments, homeowner’s insurance, utility payments, and other specified purposes.
Through 2022, HAF-funded programs have assisted over 230,000 homeowners, helping to prevent mortgage delinquencies and defaults, foreclosures, losses of utilities and home energy services, and displacement. In 2022, foreclosure filings were significantly lower than in any pre-pandemic year with available data. Data also show that very low-income homeowners, homeowners of color, and female homeowners have received a majority of HAF assistance.
View information about how to connect with homeowner assistance near you.
- Guidance: On September 12, Treasury posted the Office of Recovery Program’s Conflict of Interest FAQs
- Guidance (Tribal Resources): On September 1, Treasury published a recorded webinar on Single Audit Compliance for Tribal Entities.
Promising Practices: On August 9, Treasury published a resource to support HAF Programs with Expanding HAF Uses of Funds.
Reporting: On July 14, Treasury published updates to the Homeowner Assistance Fund Reporting FAQs
Guidance (Tribal Resources): On July 12, Treasury published a resource on Single Audit Compliance for Tribal Entities.
Program and Service Design: On July 3, Treasury published a resource to support HAF Programs with Online Application Improvements.
- Allocations (Tribes): On June 27, Treasury published the list of Tribes and Tribally designated housing entities participating in HAF.
- Guidance: On June 12, Treasury published updated HAF guidance with additional information regarding qualified expenses.
Resources for Tribes
Treasury has developed resources to help Tribes implement their programs.
- Guidance: Tribal Resources (Webinars and Slides on HAF Plan Submissions and Single Audit Requirements)
- Allocations and Payments for Tribes:
- Tribal Resources for Reporting
- Designating HAF Points of Contact by HAF Account Administrators
- Tribal Affairs Newsletter Sign Up
- 2023 HAF Compliance Supplement
- On July 7th, Treasury published data showing the Homeowner Assistance Fund Helped Keep More than 300,000 Families In Their Homes
- On March 14th, Treasury published On American Rescue Plan’s Second Anniversary, Treasury Releases New Data on Act’s Historic Investments in Economic Growth
- On May 6th, Treasury published a Statement from Secretaries Yellen, Fudge, McDonough, and Vilsack on Continued Efforts to Connect Homeowners to Pandemic Relief